||16.30 x 15.30 x 1.60 in.
The Cisco® Catalyst® 6500 Series/Cisco 7600 Series Supervisor Engine 32 delivers industry-leading security, availability, and manageability services for the networks of small and medium-sized business, enterprises, and service providers. This supervisor engine is ideal for applications requiring maximum uptime and security for small and medium-sized LAN core functions, distribution, and access as well as enterprise LAN/WAN access and service provider edge applications. The Supervisor Engine 32 provides investment protection for current Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series and Cisco 7600 Series deployments by supporting all existing classic and Cisco Express Forwarding 256-based modules and enabling new applications.
The Supervisor Engine 32 is offered with the policy feature card 3B (PFC3B), delivering the same features and services available on the Supervisor Engine 720. Two uplink options are available: 8-port Gigabit Ethernet Small Form Pluggable (SFP)-based uplinks and 2-port 10 Gigabit Ethernet XENPAK-based uplinks. In addition to these modular uplinks, the Supervisor Engine 32 also includes one port of 10/100/1000 RJ-45 for ease of network management and two USB 2.0 ports to enable high-speed, secure, direct access from laptops for network management and simplify software downloading using USB memory devices. All ports on the Supervisor Engine 32 can be active at the same time.
The Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series/Cisco 7600 Series Supervisor Engine 32 offers:
• Industry-leading integrated security-The Supervisor Engine 32 helps mitigate damage from denial-of-service (DoS) attacks using multiple CPU rate limiters, hardware-based MAC learning, and user-based rate limiting. It limits threats from the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) server, default gateway, or end-user IP address spoofing using features such as DHCP snooping, dynamic Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) inspection, and IP source guard. The supervisor engine allows close control over which users can access the network and what privileges they are granted through identity-based networking with IEEE 802.1x, port-based security, and port-based access lists. These integrated security features are hardware-based so they can be enabled concurrently without compromising system performance as traffic levels increase. The intrusion detection services module or firewall services module can be installed in the same chassis for maximum the highest level of security.
• High availability-The Supervisor Engine 32 helps ensure business continuity through minimizing network downtime with its support of Layer 2 stateful switchover (SSO), gateway load-balancing protocols, multimodule Cisco EtherChannel®, and rapid convergence protocols such as IEEE 802.1s and 802.1w. It also supports proactive detection and prevention of network equipment failures using Generic Online Diagnostics (GOLD).
• Flexible, enhanced manageability-Enhancements include support of two USB 2.0 ports to enable direct access from laptops for network management, simplify software downloading using USB memory devices, and enhance security by using a USB key to limit console access to authorized personnel; support of ACE counters for identifying the frequency that specific access-control-list (ACL) entries are hit; and support of Cisco SmartPort macros, config rollback, and switch profiles functions to simplify operational complexity. These enhanced capabilities enable network administrators to respond quickly to user access problems and simplify network management.
• Slot efficiency-Increased uplink density to eight Gigabit Ethernet SFP-based ports and increased bandwidth to two 10 Gigabit Ethernet XENPAK-based ports save slots for deployment of integrated service modules or higher-density chassis.
• Investment protection-The Supervisor Engine 32 supports all Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series classic modules and Cisco Express Forwarding
256-based modules and is backward-compatible with all Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series and Cisco 7600 Series chassis, allowing deployment of new, advanced services on existing equipment. The Supervisor Engine 32 also supports the Enhanced FlexWAN module and the new shared port adapters (SPA) and SPA interface processors (SIPs). This prolongs the deployment lifetime of interface modules and provides greater return on investment.
• Superior traffic management-Uplinks are available with four transmit queues per port, with one strict priority queue for quality of service (QoS) and two receive queues per port. Each port supports Weighted Random Early Detection (WRED) for congestion avoidance within each queue, and Shaped Round Robin (SRR) as well as Deficit Weighted Round Robin (DWRR) for scheduling between queues to aid in traffic prioritization. Up to eight thresholds can be configured to manage differentiated levels of service.
• Extensive management tools-The Supervisor Engine 32 supports the CiscoWorks network management platform; Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) Versions 1, 2, and 3; and four Remote Monitoring (RMON) groups (statistics, history, alarms, and events).