||16.14 x 14.40 x 1.20 in.
Designed for data center and server farm applications, Cisco Catalyst CEF256 optical interface modules provide line-rate Gigabit Ethernet forwarding with the following operational advantages:
• Backplane connection: Connects to the switch fabric using one 8 Gbps full-duplex connection as well as supporting a connection to the 32 Gbps shared bus
• Slot requirements: Can occupy any slot in any Catalyst 6500 Series chassis
• Supervisor engine: Supported by the Supervisor Engine 1A, Supervisor Engine 2, Supervisor Engine 32, or Supervisor Engine 720
• Base forwarding mode and performance: Uses the central CEF engine located on the supervisor engine to forward packets up to 30 Mpps per system in the interface module's base configuration
• Distributed forwarding upgrade option and performance: When equipped with the optional field-upgradeable WS-F6K-DFC or WS-F6K-DFC3 dCEF forwarding daughter cards, the interface module delivers optimal performance, up to a sustained 15 Mpps per slot; requires a switch fabric equipped chassis using either the SFM/SFM2 with a Supervisor Engine 2 with MSFC2 or the Supervisor Engine 720
• Optics: Supports hot-pluggable gigabit interface converters (GBICs)