||1.60 x 15.30 x 16.30 in.
The supervisor engines for the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series deliver the latest advanced switching technology with proven Cisco software to power a new generation of scalable and intelligent multilayer switching solutions for both enterprise and service provider environments. Designed to integrate data, voice, and video into a single platform for fully integrated IP communications, the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series supervisor engines enable intelligent, resilient, scalable, and secure high performance multilayer switching solutions.
The widely deployed Supervisor Engine 1A and Supervisor Engine 2 are used in wiring closets, distribution/core, data center, and WAN edge configurations enabling the seamless integration of advanced services such as security, voice, and content into a converged network that reduces the total cost of ownership.
By sharing a common set of interfaces, operating system and management tools, the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series supervisors provide operational consistency-enabling common sparing and minimizing training requirements; all modules feature predictable performance and a broad range of capabilities. Supervisor Engine 1A and Supervisor Engine 2 highlights include:
• Feature-rich and wire-rate intelligent network services-Support and complement comprehensive security and granular quality of service mechanisms, including identity-based networking capabilities based on IEEE 802.1x extensions and simplified configuration using two AutoQoS commands
• End-to-end flexible deployments-Position anywhere in the network from the wiring closet to the distribution/ core, and from the data center to the WAN edge and the MAN
• Scalable and predictable performance-Feature a flexible switch fabric and forwarding architecture delivering throughput from 15 Mpps/32 Gbps (Classic interface modules), to 30 Mpps/256 Gbps (CEF256 interface modules), to 210 Mpps/256 Gbps (dCEF256 interface modules) for network cores supporting multi-gigabit trunks
• Flexible multilayer switching support and forwarding architectures-Select basic Layer 2 forwarding or feature-rich Cisco Express Forwarding (CEF) using the same supervisor
• Choice of operating system support-Support both Cisco IOS® Software, Cisco Catalyst OS software, and Hybrid (Cisco Catalyst OS software and Cisco IOS Software for the MSFC)
• Operational consistency-Support all 3 generations of Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series interface and services modules in all Cisco Catalyst 6500 3-, 6-, 9-, and 13-slot chassis running Cisco IOS Software and Cisco Catalyst Operating System Software and a common set of Cisco network management tools that support the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Supervisor Engine 1A and 2 as well as many other Cisco Systems® product lines. (13-slot chassis is compatible with Supervisor Engine 2 only).
• Maximum network uptime and user productivity-Provide fault-tolerant network resilience and high availability features including fast 1- to 3-second stateful failover between redundant Cisco Catalyst 6500 supervisor engines enabling near-hitless software upgrades for business-critical network environments, including IP-telephony enabled wiring closets
• Extensive management tools-Support CiscoWorks network management platform, Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) versions 1, 2, and 3 and four RMON groups (statistics, history, alarms, and events)
As part of the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series of modular products, Supervisor Engines 1A and 2 share a common operating system and CLI-encouraging an end-to-end Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series solution for maximum operational consistency, common sparing, and minimized training requirements (Figure 1).